Monday, 15 March 2010

This Blog Has Moved!

I have taken the decision to move my blog to Wordpress because of some of the features I can get via that provider so you will no longer be able to follow my blogs via Blogger.  The new address for this blog is so please change your favourites, subscribe to that blog via email etc and delete this Blogger address and I look forward to seeing you over there!  If you've any questions, please don't hesitate in asking.

Thursday, 11 March 2010


I managed to finish Jack's neck today and am quite pleased with it so far, although the colours aren't showing correctly as I talked about in my previous post.

Wednesday, 10 March 2010


Time to make a start back on my commissions after having just spent a lovely month over in Australia! I lived over there for a year doing the backpacking thing about 12 years ago and have wanted to go back ever since and we finally had the opportunity to do so, so I made sure we made the most of it and went for a month! We travelled from Brisbane down to Melbourne and had a wonderful time, even with a friend's wedding thrown in to make it extra special.

Must stop daydreaming and get back to the subject! This painting is of a very handsome grey called Jack. As you can see, I have put down the background colour and made a start on him. I'm going to have to change my methods a bit on this painting as the photo to work from is quite small so doesn't have huge amounts of detail so I'm going to have to loosen up a bit and not work in tiny detail mode like I normally do. I've made a start putting down some base layers and will work up from there. For those new to my work in progress blog, I need to point out that the photos I take during this process are rarely exactly the same colour as the original painting. It's really difficult to get the camera to copy it exactly, plus lighting plays a huge part in how the photo turns out. Also, with acrylics, they can have a slightly shiny appearance until I put on a coat of matt varnish when I'm finished so this can also show up in the photos too.

Monday, 1 February 2010

Latest Commission - Finished

Here is the finished version of the painting, awaiting approval. I know I keep saying it but I have really really enjoyed this painting, especially getting to be all geeky and work on the tiny details in the tack etc. It's amazing how someone with so little patience can sit and paint such small details for hours and enjoy it. It has my husband baffled!

Saturday, 30 January 2010

Lady Arabella Moger and Rupert

I'm so very very close to finishing but having spent the day working on very small details, I canna take no more cap'n! My poor back is aching from leaning in so close to the canvas and never mind my poor eyes. I'm such an old woman, ha ha! I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far on this painting and only have a few small bits of tack to finish up which I should manage on Monday. By the way, do I sound odd if I comment on how darn gorgeous this horse is??!! I think he's absolutely stunning!

Thursday, 28 January 2010

Lady Arabella Moger and Rupert

Rupert's coat is proving to be a surprisingly tricky colour to work out, there are so many colours in there, including grey tones and because of how quickly acrylics dry, I have to work on very small areas at a time so that I can blend these colours together to make them look like his natural coat. I'm pretty pleased with the result so far but because I have to work in small sections, it means that each time I mix up more paint to use, I have to get it to match finished areas so when I come to work on the painting next, I might well start tweaking areas I've already covered!

Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Lady Arabella Moger and Rupert

Believe it or not, I've been working on this painting all day! All I've managed to finish today was Lady Arabella but it took me all morning just to paint her face as it's quite a precise thing to paint and just a single brushstroke out of place can make it look all wrong. I also just wanted to point out that because of it being dark outside, I tend to take work in progress photos with lighting from the daylight bulb which is overhead and this can show the painting as much lighter than the original. I try to take the finished painting photo in daylight but photos never show the paint to it's true colour and strength.